Friday, 6 May 2011

Where Trams Once Trod

'Night Tram' service 27 has finally ceased with the last duties in the early hours of the May 6th in the capable hands of Optare Solo 288. Optare Solo 284 is the latest to enter the paint shop and will be the second of its type to loose Line 2 green and yellow following from 285.

Meanwhile to mark the end of the 27, here are a few recent images with a link to tramways past and present.

The new tram depot at Starr Gate is complete and has recently seen the first passenger tram visit to test the overhead alignment. Less momentous is the appearance of the first minibus with Solo 266 sitting on the new tracks at the remodelled Starr Gate terminus

The tramway is progressively reopening and from today has been extended from North Pier to Cabin. Trident 337 approaches the Metropole alongside the relayed tram lines which have now reopened. As it stands the northbound roadway remains closed and it seems the trams may not be able serve intermediate tram stops
Meanwhile down in Lytham Volvo 522 is working route 7 - which is the spiritual successor to the Lytham St. Annes tramway, albeit using Squires Gate Lane and St. Annes Road between Squires Gate and Waterloo Hotel. This section of tramway (Lytham Square to Lytham Hospital) was the first on the Fylde Coast to close in 1926.

On Red Bank Road Solo 248 turns into Beaufort Avenue. From 1898 to 1966 Red Bank Road featured a single track tramline to access Bispham Depot - now the site of Sainsbury's Car Park